Finnish soldiers stand at the entrance to a raw sugar factory in the town of Antrea on the Karelian Isthmus, recaptured from the Soviets and still bearing a giant portrait of Joseph Stalin. Prior to the Finnish-Soviet Winter War of 30 November 1939 to 13 March 1940, the town had belonged to Finland. After the signing of the Moscow Peace Treaty and the end of hostilities, the Karelian Isthmus was ceded to the Soviet Union and the town was renamed Kamennogorsk. Open warfare flared up again with a Soviet air offensive on 25 June 1941 against Finland, beginning the Finnish-Soviet Continuation War. Subsequent successful Finnish military operations undid its post-Winter War concessions to the Soviet Union on the Karelian Isthmus and the Finns were able to recapture much of their territory lost to the Soviets during the Winter War of 1939-1940, and even gain ground in the Soviet Union. In the summer of 1944 the Soviet strategic defensive once again drove the Finns from most of the territories they had gained. Antrea, Viipuri Province, Finland (now, Kamennogorsk, Leningrad Oblast, Russia). 16 August 1941.